Thursday, October 28, 2010

7 days left!

Exactly one week from today and I will get my new kidney. It's coming up fast, people! Sometimes it feels like too fast and then, at other times, it doesn't feel fast enough. Sometimes I wish I had more time to prepare, and then other times, I wish it had happened yesterday.

At this time next week I will already have gone through the surgery, woken up from the anesthesia, and (knowing me) will probably be watching TV in the ICU... a little (or a lot!) sore, more than likely, but feeling (I hope) very well, better than I've ever felt and getting better by the minute.

One of our case-workers (or a social worker, I'm not really sure.) called today to let us know that they have a spot reserved for us at the Ronald McDonald House near the hospital which will be where me and my mom are staying while I recover. My grandparents are going to take my dad back home as soon as he recovers and then he'll come back up for his two-week check-up to make sure he's doing fine but me and my mom will have to stay up there for at least a month, probably, because I'll be having check-ups and medication adjustments for a while afterwards.

I went to Walmart today (I know, I know, I'm not supposed to be out.) to get some necessities and some things to keep me busy... namely, a new pack of crochet hooks because I seem to have lost most of my other ones, and a skein of lovely, thick, purple yarn that I think would make a great knit scarf if I reteach myself how to knit again. Since I usually crochet I kinda sorta forgot how to knit and the scarf won't have the look I want if I crochet it. I decided that I could get a lot done since I'm not going to be able to do much else (not that I do much now...) and I can knit and crochet while watching TV and movies, which is probably what I'm going to be doing a lot of while I'm up there...

On a much happier note, I found my iTouch! I've decided that it's just a God-thing that I found it, and it's probably a God-thing that I lost it too, because I really don't know how it could have fallen out of my pocket and I have no idea how it ended up in the corner of my room by my dialysis chair, either. But, whatever, the point is, it was lost, and now it's found, and God let me find it before I went and spent almost $300 on a new one so I would have it when I was at the hospital. :-) And me and my mom had a great talk in the car about how God expects us to respond in situations like this and what having a grateful attitude really means... but that'll be for another post at another time. ;-)

7 days left!

1 comment:

  1. Kristen,

    Wow! I am just so thrilled at God's goodness. I'm thrilled that you will be on the road to recovery in only one more week. Many people are lifting you up to the Lord in prayer. It is a privilege to have a part in God's working on your behalf!

    I almost couldn't believe it when you said you found your iTouch -- I prayed that you would! "Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them." (Mark 11:24) God is so-o-o good!

    I myself am an avid knitter. There are good instructional videos on YouTube -- from the basics of knitting to more advanced techniques. Knitting is a wonderful way to pass the time.

    May the Lord bless and keep you with His grace, Kristen.

    In Jesus,

    Naomi Ungry

    ReplyDelete