Wednesday, November 3, 2010

It looks official!

Well, it looks like everything is official. Me and my dad had our pre-surgery appointment yesterday. The short story is that me and my dad met with the doctors, nurses, surgeon, anesthesiologist, and had about ten tubes of blood drawn each. Then we were told that everything came back great, nothing to hang up or delay the transplant and everything looks like a go for Thursday. Afterwards, I went to a friend's house and we watched movies (but didn't finish them) and talked and I almost fell asleep before another friend who had come to hang out with us took me back to the House. She hung out with me there for a little bit before she had to go and then me and my parents wathed Toy Story 3 before going to bed.

The long story is a lot more frustrating and... Longer. And since I'm bored, I'll tell it. The appointment was at 9:00 in the morning, which meant I needed to get up and start dialysis at 8:00 and I needed to do my next exchange at least at 12:00. I was hoping that we would be done by 10:45ish so I could go over to chapel at my college (Heartland Baptist Bible College) by 11:00. By 10:30, we were almost done but we just had to get our blood drawn, meet with the anesthesiologist, and my dad had to get a chest x-Ray. Yeah, even if we didn't have to wait at all they still wouldn't have been done by 11:00.

On top of that, the surgeon apparently didn't get to talk to us enough when he had seen us that morning so he had the nurse call us back over to the transplant center so he could talk to us more. At that time, it was already 1:30 in the afternoon, I didn't eat breakfast and we were still at the hospital during lunch so now I was starving, I was sad that I missed chapel, I was late for dialysis and, because I had dressed for chapel, I was in a suit the whole time and was now very uncomfortable. Although, I did get a lot of complements dressed like that instead of in my usual tee-shirt and sweatpants but I really missed my sweats because I was freezing almost the entire time because it's like a rule that hospitals are supposed to be cold.

Finally, when we got out of there, my dad had VA appointment across the street and me and my mom went to McDonalds because I was getting cranky, dizzy and shaky from not eating and I sat inthe car waiting for my friend to pick me up and take me to her house. I was supposed to do dialysis in the car but the bag, after almos six hours, wasn't warm enough when I needed to use it. So I went without dialysis until 6:30 and I think I'm paying for it now because I'm feeling sick this morning and after such a ridiculously long day yesterday, I'm too tired to go to my college for lunch. Bleh!

So, today we are just hanging out until tomorrow morng when we have to go to the hospital atthe crack of dawn (5:00 AM!!!) and we aren't allowed to eat after midnight tonight so I'm making sure I get a snack before midnight in case nothing happens for a couple of hours and I don't want to starve while I'm waiting.

My dad is going to go first and before his procedure is done i'll be under anesthesia already waiting for my surgery. It will take around 8-10 hours (4-5 for each of us) before the surgery is over.

The hospital has wifi so I'll try and post tomorrow while I'm waiting my turn to go into surgery but no promises. I will post as soon as I can but don't be alarmed if you don't hear anything for a few days. More than likely it just means I'm sleeping off the anesthesia. :-) Thanks for all your prayers! We will see what happens tomorrow

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for keeping us all updated, Krisitn!
    We are holding you and your dad in our prayers and will be praying for you both tomorrow.

    *BIG HUGS*

    Love,
    Meagan F.

    ReplyDelete