Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Long over-due update

First off, I apologize to all of you faithful readers of my blog for not updating sooner. I could make up a really good (and legitimate) excuse but the truth of the matter is, I just didn't feel like blogging and so I didn't. A moment ago, I really didn't care and I actually was going to put this off yet another day because I still don't really feel like writing but my Dad told me that I needed to update and I just got a comment on my last post about how this blog is an encouragement to read so... now I feel like a selfish little brat and that I really need to update y'all and let you know what's going on.

A lot has happened in the last couple of days, my emotional roller-coaster was still in full swing and I had a rough week again. I passed the PD training with flying colors and was pleasantly surprised to find that there really wasn't all that much to learn to start home dialysis. So now, I am at home doing dialysis myself. It has it's drawbacks but those don't compare to having to go to the dialysis center three times a week. This is a much more gentler way of dialyzing and it's more natural on your body. I'll write more about PD later and explain the whole process.

Because I started PD, I no longer need the hemo-dialysis port in my shoulder and I was able to get that taken out yesterday. It was a fairly basic, easy procedure that is usually done in the surgeon's office but I decided that I wanted to have some anesthesia and sleep through the whole thing because I'm a high-strung, very nervous individual and I cry sometimes when they stick needles in my body and shoot burning painful liquids in me. Ugh, I hate that! And when I start to cry, I get so embarrassed and I have trouble stopping the tears and I get all the doctors and nurses worried and... yeah, you get the picture.

So I was given some light anesthesia, slept through the whole procedure, which only took about an hour, woke up like I had just taken a nap without being loopy, disoriented, upset, or anything, and recovered in about an hour and was able to come home. The anesthesia made me very calm and relaxed which was very nice considering that I wasn't very calm and relaxed when I got there.

So now, finally that dreadful catheter is out of my shoulder and I was told to take the dressing off today and take a shower to wash off the orange sterile agent that they spread all over my skin... very weird. But the shower was lovely and I was definitely looking forward to taking a real shower as soon as I got this shoulder port removed. I can't get that one wet because of the risk for infection but the PD port in my stomach is allowed to get wet in the shower so I had to modify my shower and do a sort of half shower thing and wash my upper body with those bed bath wipes and then was my hair separately... very confusing. But, now I can take a regular shower again. I know that sounds kind of trivial but I havent had a regular shower for about two months and I was very excited to have a regular shower today.

It's sort of like a mile marker, to let me know that I am getting better and I am getting my life back little by little. My life was taken away from me slowly and painfully, and now I'm slowly and painfully (and with much difficulty) getting my life back. And now I have my showers back. :-)

Next week my dad has a meeting with the kidney doctor and I'm pretty sure this will be the final "yes or no" on my dad being able to donate. I think me and my mom are going to try to go with him but we're not sure yet because, even though I can travel with the PD, it's a lot of stuff to pack into the car so we're not sure if I'm going to go or not but I really want to. We'll just have to see.

I will definitely post and keep y'all informed as to what happens with the transplant process and I will also post and write more about how the PD home dialysis stuff works too, just in case any of y'all are curious.

Thank you for your prayers, your support, your encouragement, your kind words, your letters, your friendship... everything. It means a lot to me and my family and I promise you all I will try my best to not be selfish and only post when I feel like it but to post whenever I've got an update or prayer request or just to tell you that I have nothing to report. :-D

No comments:

Post a Comment